A living lab is a livelihood generation system often operating in a territorial context (e.g. community, agglomeration, region) integrating technology and business processes and is characterized by its openness in establishing a close cooperation between developers, users and other stakeholders, and by creation of rapid learning cycles accelerating growth in entrepreneurship.
Our Living Lab packages have an extremely flexible and modular design. Each package, while offering the same basic functionalities of livelihood generation, can be be adapted to local culture, climate and business interests. The package consists of “technology focused” and “process focused” components.
The "technology focused components" consist of various ready-to-use technical solutions ranging from software solutions like bulk-SMS capability to low power motor design to financial packages. These artifacts could either be geo-independent ones or chosen based on the unique demographic and sociological characteristics of the hinterland.
The “process focused components” are a set of proven business models that are collated from other living labs. The goal of these solutions is to help in business success by scaling up or morphing existing business practices or by creating a new business by adapting the technology artifacts in local context.
Examples of case studies that can be found in our ‘Living Labs’ package include introduction of computer-based services to the inhabitants of villages or enabling financial inclusion of farmers in a demography with no physical banks or ATMs.
Living Labs will guide entrepreneurs’ journey with tools, skill sets and services as they go through the journey of entrepreneurship.
- For the 'Germination Phase', Living labs will explain how to perform an environmental scan to help identify potential entrepreneur opportunities.
- For the 'Planting Phase', it wil demonsate how to create effective project proposals and business plans and how to conduct fruitful reviews with stakeholders and funding agencies.
- For the 'Growth Phase', Living labs will instruct how to identify ‘critical to quality’ features in the business plan and perform a limited development/deployment of the project to validate the business model and refine it based on early field trials.
- For the 'Abundance Phase', it will introduce tools that are needed when business starts scaling up with consequence increase in revenue and customer base.
- Finally, for the 'Dispersal Phase' it will help entrepreneurs understand how to seek out opportunities for either scaling up the same operation or diversifying to adjacent/new markets.